Thursday 1 August 2013

re.view: Alpha H Liquid Gold

Ode to Alpha H Liquid Gold....

I have come across this product on a number of blogs but I first bought it after reading a glowing review on amodelrecommends . I used to have a problem with small cystic-type spots in my skin, the type that hang around for up to a month and then leave a nice little dark scar afterwards (particularly if you get frustrated after week 3 and desperately try to squeeze it...). I've managed to figure out how to keep this fairly under control but I still have a few dark spots on my face that I'd like to get rid of.


The active ingredient in Liquid Gold is glycolic acid. This acid is used at a higher strength in face peels (from 10% +) but in this product the percentage is much lower meaning that it is safe to use at home. Alpha H recommends that you use this every three nights or so until your skin becomes accustomed to it and then you can use it up to every night. This might be too much though if you have sensitive skin. If you do find it is a bit too strong for your skin you can follow its application with a moisturiser that will dilute its effect (it's normally used without moisturiser)

I've had this product for a while but didn't want to do a review of it until I've had a chance to try it out properly. I think I've had it for 3 - 4 months now and although I've forgotten several times to use it at night (!) I have noticed that my skin is a lot smoother than it used to be and those dark spots that have been hanging around since my teens are definitely improving.

It's a very liquidy liquid; the same viscosity as water, that you apply on a cotton pad. Be careful only to pour out a very small amount onto the cotton pad as a tiny bit will do your whole face and neck! I pour out about a pea sized circumference of liquid. If you're used to applying moisturiser at night this will feel very odd indeed the first few times you use it. I tend to apply this one night, coconut oil the next, and then my Clean and Clear moisturiser that contains salicylic acid the third.

All in all I recommend this if you want to improve your skin texture or fade scars. I'm not sure I'd recommend it for teen skin as it's unclear whether your skin can get used to this and you might want to save it for use in your twenties and thirties once any acne problems are under control.

Liquid Gold is around £30 and available from feelunique

No comments:

Post a Comment