Sunday 25 August 2013

re.view: Make Up Forever HD Powder

I bought this little tester/travel pot of the Make Up Forever HD Powder from Sephora while I was in North America recently. I'd been wanting to get a decent make-up setting powder as the warm [read: oily] summer was approaching fast and my previous highstreet/drugstore powder wasn't doing the trick. I'd also read a lot about this and was really looking forward to giving a high-end product a try!

This powder works very well indeed. It's imperceptible on the skin once applied and finely-milled so you can't see the particles of powder on the skin unless you apply it very liberally indeed (if you do, just give it a spritz of a toner to bring it back to normal!). It famously can give a white cast to the skin under flashlight photography, so I reserve this for daytime wear and tend not to wear this in the evening events. For the evening and for touch-ups throughout the day I go for the Soap and Glory One Heck of a Blot powder that I am a real fan of.




I don't own a lot of high-end products and although this powder performs really well, I to some extent can see why...you can almost always find a dupe for these sorts of things on the highstreet. I've heard that the NYX silica powder and even the e.l.f. silica powder are comparable (although these are not readily available in the UK, you need to order from their respective websites). I have found a few high-end products recently that are, in my opinion, worth the price and this one I guess is if you can't easily get hold of the dupes for it.

The only major downside of this product is that it's a loose powder...and in hindsight I shouldn't have attempted to take it on holiday with me. It survived the rigours of my makeup bag but then during transit so much powder had accumulated into the sifter section of the little pot that it went absolutely everywhere when I opened it to use. So, be warned, if you do try to travel with it pop it on top of a tissue before opening!

I might buy this again because I can't really get to the NYX and e.l.f dupes easily, but in all honesty it's also quite difficult to get Make Up Forever in the UK. I think that next time I will try out the Ben Nye offering that is much more affordable and I've heard great things about. I don't think that I'll need to buy a powder again for a very very long time. This powder just seems to go on and on - you can't even tell that I've used it yet! You can find where to buy near you using the Make Up Forever tool here.

No comments:

Post a Comment