Friday 30 August 2013

re.create: Beautiful Movements Prime & Create Mixing Medium

I received this in a glossy box back in July (I think) as in a teeny tiny little pot of 2.5g. I thought that this was a little small for a sample, but a I still haven't used up this small amount.

This clear gel is designed for use as a primer for the face or eyes or as a mixing medium with powder products. I haven't yet tested this mixed with my mineral foundation (re.created myself - follow me for tutorial coming soon!) but I have been using it as a primer and it works a treat! It makes the colour of any eyeshadow appear far more vibrant because it 'grabs onto' more of the pigment. I haven't used it as an all-over face primer, mostly because I have been testing other things out but with a look at the ingredients it seems to be a nicely lighweight, silicone-based primer that should do the trick.


I noticed something else whilst I was looking at the ingredients...that I could easily re.create it! And that's what I have for you in this post today.

The ingredients are mostly: silicones, aloe vera gel, a skin conditioner, an emulsifier/sufactant and silica. Now I decided that as as aloe vera is a skin conditioner and this isn't the principle role of the product anyway, I could leave out another one. For lack of an emulsifer/sufactant I also skipped this, but this may mean that the re.create might start to separate out after a little while (just give it a good shake up before use and try to make a small amount at a time so you can use it up in a couple of months). Silica is the mattifying agent in the product and could easily be added to the re.create  from a silica powder such as the ones mentioned in this post. Since I only have the Make Up Forever HD powder that was rather costly, and I prefer to mattify my T-zone only after applying my makeup I also decided to give this ingredient a miss.


So that leaves us with the ingredients:
Aloe Vera gel
Cyclomethicone
Dimethicone
A small pot
Pipette or teaspoon
Something to stir/mix with

Method: I squirted (what a great word) about a teaspoon of aloe vera gel into my pot, followed by around 10 drops of dimethicone and 20 drops of cyclomethicone. Mix all together well and pop the lid of your pot back on!

I noticed that the texture of the original product is quite fast drying on the skin hence the greater amount of cyclomethicone. My mixture feels a little wetter than the original and I think this is due to the lack of silica in it, but you could start by adding about a quarter of a teaspoon of this in if you'd like a matte finish to your primer (add more if the mixture doesn't feel matte enough on the skin). Mine is also a little more liquid and a little less transparent than the original, but it seems to dry fairly quickly nevertheless (aloe vera does) and is perfectly clear on the skin.

Trying it out - it works great! And, dare I say, even better than the original product. I imagine that this is not because of some magicary of my own hand but because I haven't included the silica that might reduce it's 'grabbing' capacity a little. In the swatches the far right is without primer, the centre is with the Beautiful Movements primer, and the far left is my re.created primer.

All in all I'm very pleased with this re.create as I loved the product to begin with and it seems to perform just as well. The original product is well worth the price at £20 for 20g, as a little will last you quite some time, but if you do fancy investing in some silicones then you can try to re.create it yourself!

N.B. If you do want to buy some silicone, I've linked the ingredient list to where I bought mine. We will be using these in other products so if you do like to do a bit of DIY at home then you can plump for 100ml of each.

No comments:

Post a Comment