Sunday 1 September 2013

re.view: benefit They're real! mascara

I received this as a sample at some point and hadn't got around to trying it as mascaras are often included in magazines, offers and subscription boxes, but on a recent trip abroad I thought I'd take this to try out as it was a nice compact size. There has been a lot of hype about this mascara with a lot of positive reviews and a smattering of not so glowing ones.



I find that it give big lashes...but ones that feel plastic-y and really as if they were false! Perhaps this is it's success and it's downfall. I really does work a charm to deliver nicely separated, black, lengthened and fuller lashes but in return for these wonders you sacrifice the texture of your natural lash.

Now, it really depends whether this bothers you at all - it seems to remove as easily as other mascaras, perhaps only slightly more difficult as it behaves like a semi-waterproof one, and doesn't seem to flake or run provided that you've powdered under your eyes in the morning (I find this true of many mascaras) - but if it can feel a little heavy on the lash and if you wear glasses like I sometimes do, it can feel a little odd brushing against the glass, a little like a hairspray makes your hair feel before you've brush or tousled it out.

I don't mind the feeling that much, and you get a lot of impact from your lashes for your tolerance. However, I have found that the L'Oreal Voluminous mascara in Carbon Black performs pretty much just as well without any of the plastic feeling and I prefer this on a day-to-day basis (not to mention that it comes at a lower pricetag).

So, a mixed review from me, depending on your preferences. If you regularly wear false lashes and are used to the feeling, this could be a good week-day alternative for you! If you have always plumped for a lighter, more natural mascara in the past this could be a bit of a shock.

Available for around £19.50 here.

No comments:

Post a Comment