Friday 13 September 2013

re.view: Rimmel Apocalips (new shades!)

New shades are available from Rimmel's Apocalips ('Show Off' in the US)

I already own a number of Apolocalips lip laquers, but haven't yet written a review of them so I'll combine both purposes in this post.


I own all the available colours, apart from the nude ones as these have a tendency not to show up well on my pigmented lips, and galaxy the purple-ish shade as these don't tend to suit my skin tone: Apocaliptic (bright fushia), Big Bang (true red), Stella (warm pink), Luna (peach), Nova (warm light pink) and Celestial (cool light pink). I love all of the shades that I own, aside from Luna that shows up OK but seems to stick to all the fine lines of my lips.


These lip 'laquers' are very long wearing and contain a great deal of pigment. They don't stain the lips as such because the texture of the laquer sits on top of the lip, but it sits there for a very long time! On application, it's best to apply one thin layer (relatively matte), followed by another thin layer to acheive a shine. The shine does fade over a couple of hours, and the colour eventually disappears after 5 or 6 but it fades evenly and is a doddle to reapply before then. Because these are so pigmented it's advisable to apply it in thin layers by wiping off most of the product at the neck of the tube before applying to your lips, and then not to mess about with it afterwards as it will stain the skin around your lips if it smudges before set.

I have been waiting for new shades to come out after hearing on the grapevine (i.e. British Beauty Blogger) that they were going to be available in the UK from September 2013. So I bought three of the four newly added colours (except the nude and Across the Universe, a deep red shade that sadly wasn't included on the stand...): Out of this World (light pink frost), Eclipse (deep berry) and Aurora (peachy red).

I love the new colours! I haven't worn a frosty pink since I was in my pre-teens but Out of this World is just lovely and I think would be ideal balanced out with a matte eye-look. Eclipse is the perfect berry stain for Autumn/Winter. I am trying to hold of wearing it until then but it's such a beautiful colour I couldn't resist wearing it for one day already! This is an excellent choice for anyone with drier lips like mine because deeper coloured lipsticks tend to highlight dryness. Aurora is a sort of peach-red, a colour unlike any other that I own and very flattering. For some reason, I tend to suit cooler toned reds against my warmer skin tone, but this is incredibly flattering and is my very favourite lip colour of the moment.

I hope that I'll be able to source Across the Universe soon as I wear the Apocalips far more often than 'regular' lipsticks on a day-to-day basis. Update: I have just ordered one from Fragrance Direct who have had a few shades in stock for £5 for a few weeks

They don't yet seem to be available online, but should appear here soon! Update: The new shades are filed under 'lipgloss' rather than 'lipstick'! 

No comments:

Post a Comment