Sunday 22 December 2013

re.commend: Mascara mix-n-match!


Problem: Have a mascara I like, have also a mascara I don't like. The mascara I like is finished...what to do?     
Solution: Mix 'n' match!



I'm a big fan of the Max Factor Clump Defy mascara (Covergirl Clumpcrusher), in particular I like the separating quality of its curved plastic wand as it allows me to layer up mascara without any clumping into spider-eyes.

Recently, after I had finally given up the ghost on my dried out Clump Defy, I remembered that I also had a mascara open that I didn't get on with at all - the Rimmel ScandalEyes (orange tube) mascara. Reading recently on Beautylish about the development of mascara, I realised that the wand and opening of the mascara tube that most differentiates mascaras rather than the formula of the product (though this can be wetter or direr, fibre, tubing or traditional...). So I thought I'd have go at creating one of my own by replacing the wand I didn't like with the wand I did.

To cut a long story short, I was able to get some use out a mascara that was otherwise a bit fail for me (wand far too big = mascara everywhere). Although the neck of the tube was a bit too wide to adequately scrape off enough product to replicate the effect of the Clump Defy mascara, it did morph into a super-charged, lash thickening mascara - simply because it applied more product - whilst retaining some of its lash-separating qualities.

So, if you find yourself in a situation such as this and fancy doing some lash-product designing of your own then I'd say give it a go!

If you try this out yourself I'd love to hear about how your combinations went! I'll try to post up about any more great combinations I discover! 

N.B. Just make sure to thoroughly clear the old mascara wand before popping it into the new tube as you don't want to transfer any bacteria from the one you've been using for a couple of months. You can use soap and water, or even better plunge it into some brush cleaner/surgical spirit/alcohol.

No comments:

Post a Comment