Monday 28 October 2013

re.view: Urban Decay Vice 2 palette

 What a stunner. THE 'holiday' palette of 2013.

I had actually resolved not to buy this palette despite seeing some reviews on YouTube and blogs that gave very favourable comments on both the quality and range of colours in it, because, really, who needs another palette? another pink, another bronze-brown? Well, me it turns out!




I was walking through Debenhams on the way to catch a train and saw that they had the Vice 2 still in stock despite it being sold out online for the past couple of weeks. I was ready to walk on by, but i was a few minutes early, so I swatched a couple of colours on my hand 'just to see'. They were beautifully creamy (of course), and no colour from this palette could I duplicate from my current collection (of course), the palette case is very sturdy, unlike many of the other cardboard-encased palettes that are released around Christmas time and it has a mirror the full size of the case that stands up on its own.

The palette is solid, good quality, it feels like you are getting more than your money's worth and more luxurious that other palettes Urban Decay has created. It comes in a cardboard box and the raised faceted logo is protected with some cut-out foam (see end of post).

So why did I buy it in the end? Well, it wasn't only that it had colours that I didn't own already, but it was the types of colours it contained that I didn't own already. Many of the shades are off-shades,  that can be described only in sentence-form. Not quite this, not quite that colours that change in different lights and keep you guessing. This is the beauty of some of the more special colours of the naked palettes like Toasted, YDK, Smog etc.

In my pictures, the colour of the 20 shadows is a little drained, so imagine a more intense version of each pigment. Toxic in particular is one of the most stunning shades - rather than describing it as 'rose gold' I would say that it's a more unusual 'rose bronze'.

In addition to the off-ish shades, the likes of Smokeout (brownish-black-shimmer), Madness (turquoise-blue-gold-shimmer), Stash (green-brown-gold shimmer) and Ambush (red-bronze-brown-shimmer) among others, there are a couple of matte blending shades and some 'pure' shades like Shellshock a very vibrant and true silver comparable to the pure gold of Half-Baked.

You can get away with creating a whole eye look from this palette, for instance, X-rated and Coax blended into the crease and Shellshock packed onto the lid creates a beautiful holiday look, or simply a wash of Stash or Ambush all over the lid with some Smokeout or Lovesick used as a liner along the lashes. However, you can of course combine this with shades from other palettes, and you might need to do this if the light and mid-brown blending shades don't suit your skin colour.

As has become typical, the palette comes with a double-ended brush that is of decent enough quality to use for packing colour on initially and blending out edges around the crease of your eye. There are no other freebies with this palette, although there have been some great deals at Debenhams recently when using the Beauty Card or spending above £50 (£10 gift card free). If you're trying to reach £50 I recommend picking up one of the new Urban decay lipsticks (review coming soon!) as I've been accumulating them one-by-one.

I don't know if you can tell, but I'm very pleased to have this in my possession, and don't feel the least bit guilt about buying it as an early Christmas present from my parents and using it now!

No, you don't need this palette, it's an indulgence for sure, and it doesn't create the most subtle day-time looks if this is what you normally opt for. But it is lovely and I have used it every other day since I bought it (only to give my other palettes a look-in!) both weekdays and weekends.

Available here for £42
















No comments:

Post a Comment