Sunday 21 July 2013

re.create: Clay face mask

Hi everyone!

A re.create for you this time with a clay-based face mask. I was looking at the back of my Simple Deep Cleansing Face Mask a while ago and notice that I owned a lot of the ingredients already just from other parts of my skincare routine and from making my own mineral foundation (re.create coming soon!). After looking into the ingredients of a few more of the high-end face masks available I decided to look at my store of ingredients and create a face mask perfectly adapted for my needs!



So I started with some kaolin clay as I use face masks principally to clear our my pores and refresh my skin. However, I also wanted a bit of hydration so I added in some of my favourites: glycerin, aloe vera gel, rose hip oil, apricot kernel oil and sweet almond oil. I also decided to add a few drops of lavender essential oil to give it a nice fragrance and a cooling sensation:

1 heaped teaspoons kaolin clay
1 tsp aloe vera
1/2 tsp glycerin
1 tsp of a mixture of sweet almond, apricot kernel and rose hip oil (I pre-mix these anyway to use in other parts of my skincare routine)
1 tsp water
2-3 drops lavender essential oil
 Give the ingredients a good ol' mix in a bowl or jar. You might not be able to get it quite as smooth as a shop-bought mask but give it some elbow grease and then don't worry as this will all smooth out when you apply it to your face.

Now you can use some straight away or pop it in a little pot for use another day! This amount should give you 2-4 applications depending on whether you apply it just to your t-zone or your whole face and neck. It's important to make this in small batches as there is no preservative in this mixture and so it shouldn't be kept for more than about a week to be safe.

If you wanted to make this into a mask-scrub then you could add some sort of exfoliating particles that would turn the mask into a scrub when you washed it off with water (you could use sugar for this). I prefer to apply this before I hop in the shower or before removing it with a hot flannel so I don't add an extra exfoliant.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment