Friday 17 October 2014

re.create: Day 4, Step 4 - Liner - Shaping up!

The fourth and final day of liner week is upon us! (I know, a four-day week....if only!)

Today is less of a tutorial and more of a discussion about the different ways that you can adapt your eyeliner. You might want to do this in order to exaggerate your eye shape in particular ways, for example to make them appear larger or longer, or just for fun to create different effects! There are no hard and fast rules for how to shape your eyeliner, and the best way to find out what you like is to experiment!



Here are some ideas for the different aspects of your eyeliner shape that you can change in order to produce different effects:
  • Thickness of line
  • Wing or no wing?
  • Angle of wing
  • Gradient of line
  • Where the wing ends
  • Where the inside line ends
  • Colour
  • Hardness/softness
  • Texture - gloss/matte/glitter

There is also a good tutorial on YouTube by Julia Graff' here, that shows a few different shapes that you can try. 

Hooded eyes - If you have hooded eyes you can still wear a liner! A push liner, nestled into the base of your lashes, or a very thin gel line is the easiest way to emphasise your eyes without making the eye area appear dark. But I think that a full-on black liner can also look pretty cool! The winged shape for hooded eyes needs to be created with your eyes open (I would do this on all eyes anyway) in order to make sure that it falls exactly where it can be seen and is where you want it. Then, simply line the lashline and join up the wing as normal. You might want to experiment with the shape of the wing and give it a horizontal platform before coming down at an angle. Petja Kozina shows a good example of this in her videos, for example here.

Eyebrows and space - if you don't have a lot of space between your eyes and eyebrows...congratulations! It can be very beautiful. Although you don't have as much space to play with here, you can still wing out your eyeliner more horizontally. Think Cheryl Cole.

You can use coloured powder products to create eyeliner by using them wet, or by using a mixing medium. These are available from brands such as Illamasqua and Make Up Forever. The make the product nice and smooth and often water resistant too.

Smudging - I often used to have a problem with smudging due to my oilier eyelids. The best way to prevent this is to always apply a good primer before applying eye products, and to set your liner with a powder of the same colour as your liner, or with translucent powder.

Lining the waterline - I like to line the upper waterline in order to 'tightline' my eyes for a quick way to emphasise my eyes without necessarily applying a full on line across the lashline. The lower waterline I find to be not as long lasting no matter what product I use. However I can get a good few hours wear from a gel eyeliner, or gel pencil, that is set with powder. I like to remove the moisture from the waterline very gently with a cotton bud before lining it if I want it to last. I tend to get a little bit of eyeliner collecting in the corner of my eye after a few hours on the waterline - so a mid-day or mid-evening check up is always advisable!

Most of all just have fun! And don't even wear eyeliner if you don't want to :) I maybe wear it twice a week.

Hope you've enjoyed eyeliner week! Let me know how you like to do your eyeliner and which products you would recommend. Also let me know whether you'd like another themes series of posts soon!

DB xx

No comments:

Post a Comment