Sunday 15 September 2013

re.view: Bourjois Colour Boost Lip Crayon

I popped into Superdrug to be pleasantly surprised at a buy-one-get-one-half-price offer on some of the makeup lines (Boots currently has this across all makeup lines). I'd just watched Essie Button's video that mentioned these as one of her favourites for August. I have really enjoyed the Soap and Glory lip crayons this summer that have a high gloss finish, as I can't be doing with a two-stage application of lip product with a lipstick then a gloss on a day-to-day basis.


These Bourjois crayons have a lovely sheen to them but don't feel as sticky or heavy as the Soap and Glory ones on the lip. This is pleasant, particularly in the hot weather we've been having, but it does mean that the shine doesn't last quite as long.

I went for two colours to try out: Peach on the Beach and Fushia Libra. The colour pay-off from both is excellent. The fushia colour is a vibrant pink shade that isn't actually too bold on the lips and I've been wearing it with a nude eye (just a smidgen of black khol transferred onto an angled brush and pushed into the upper lash line, followed by a curl of the lashes and one layer of a defining mascara. Later in the day I actually added a little bit of bronze eyeliner on the lower waterline).

The peach colour is a bit of a revelation to me! To explain, I have fairly pigmented lips, which is handy for 'I forgot my lips' days, but makes it tricky to achieve a nice peach or nude lip colour. I find that it is possible for me to do this by blotting some concealer or foundation over my lips before applying a nude colour, but that this can be a bit drying over the course of the day. But this peach actually shows up on my lips without the need for concealer and produces a gentle but importantly visible glossy peach tint. It doesn't last quite as long as the fushia shade because there is less of a staining effect, but for those with naturally lighter colour lips it should last well.

All in all I'm pleased with these. I tend to use up these types of crayons far more quickly than lipsticks that I tend to use as more of a stain and therefore go through slowly. Compared to the original Clinique chubby sticks these Bourjois ones are more pigmented, more glossy and as light on the lips. Compared to the Soap and Glory lip crayons, these are as pigmented and less glossy but lighter on the lips.

Available from Superdrug here for £7.99

No comments:

Post a Comment